Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Into Africa

I have arrived in Livingstone the border town of Zambia this morning and have found lodgings for the night at a backpackers called Fawlty Towers. But let me first take you through the last few days.
5th November - boarded a Citi-liner in Jhb to Bulawayo. When I got onto the bus there was someone in my seat. I was politely told by the lady that here we just sit anywhere so I proceeded to find myself a seat elsewhere in the bus. Sylvia Amandla and Ian came to see me off. Sylvia and Amandla seemed very worried but reluctantly tried to look happy. The bus ride was okay except for a few incidences. Two crying babies on board, the temp was 35 outside and 40 in the bus no air con and all the windows were closed. I lost 2kgs immediately.
Got to Bulawayo the next morning 9.30am
6th November
Put on my running shoes and ran the city to orientate myself. The girls in the city found this very funny, because of my tights I wear under the running shorts. Apparently this is only worn by girls here. First Friday so I went to 1.10pm mass as we have in CT. Contacted Lorraine's friend Trudy and her husband and had supper with them. agreed to meet the next morning and spend the evening with them.
7th November Went for a walk in the market but felt it was'nt a good idea so I left the area went back to the lodge and packed. Started shedding some of my load gave some of the food to the receptionist who was very great full. Manny came to pick me up, since it was a Saturday they usually have lunch with Trudy's parents so we went there for lunch and afterwards went for a drive to the Matopos, looked at Rhodes grave. Returned and sat chatting till late
8th November
Went to the station to book a train ticket to the Falls. Station was closed somebody had lost the key. I went to mass and when I got back I had to settle for 2nd class.
Went back home for lunch and and went to see Lorraine and Dicks house to see if the property is being looked after.
Trian was departing at 8pm made our way to the station it was all in darkness the trin also was in darkness. No water on the train so whatever got into the toilet and did not drop straight on the rails stayed in the carriage. Result a stinking ride to the falls.
9th November in next posting will get back later

5 comments:

  1. Mr D, things sound like they going well, I think you might have sparked the travel bug with Amandla and I.
    Go well and I'll keep checking your posts, till later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Boet, and here I thought travelling on the Wynberg/Cape Town line was interesting. Keep smiling though...never know who you may meet and the role they's play onyour journey.
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aweh Dougie! Great to hear that you're making progress, exploring, learning and realising your dreams. You are always in our thoughts and prayers. Take care, F@tBoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi bro, sounds like your trip thus far has been greaatt! Just remember there's a citi-liner to jump on if the going gets tough!
    Take care love always margie and gus
    Hi uncle cecil hope you having lots of fun. Love claire and joel

    ReplyDelete
  5. The food you evetually offloaded I see, as your daughter (with less life expereince and all), I do not always get the opportunity to say that "I told you so" but I did! How are the sprouts coming along, or did you ditch those too?

    Overall Glad to see that things are going well! Good and Luck and keep the postings coming in!

    Hugs and Kisses
    A

    ReplyDelete