Nairobi 7th December 2009
I have a two week wait for the Sudan visa and a week wait for the Ethiopian visa. I have taken a photo at the equator and have decided that I would have to come and do the last 3 countries at a later date. They will also be the most taxing so maybe I should go and rest up a while I may be getting to old for this shit!.......... but please let me fill you in about the rest of my trip after Zanzibar. I got onto the ferry the next morning, economy class. this was inside with an Indian movie showing nogal. A lady with a retarded (she could no speak and made funny noises all the time sucking air through her teeth, whilst constantly folding and unfolding a noisy plastic bag, mother is not worried one bit.
30min. into the journey we start hitting choppy seas, the Steward comes around with some black bags on which is printed "mess bag" I was hoping I wont need it. I had brought some seasick tablets but felt I did not need it since I did not get sick on the trip over. I see the neighbour put the bag to her mouth and "kabwa" there she blows, much to the amusement of the child of course. Now my stomach starts feeling queasy, mommy puts the bag to her mouth again repeats session by the daughter. This was the pattern until we got into the harbour at Dar. I managed to keep my food down.
At dar I was met by strings of touts again by now I just ignored them and went on my way.
I went back to Mattias and Corine to rest in the lap of luxury for a few days.
Monday
Went into town to buy a bus ticket to Nairobi and mail some of my stuff home so that my bag can become lovable again it has become very heavy and the past weekend has proven that I could do without some of the items in my bag.
So with the sleeping bag and other odds and ends in a box on ...... head we make our way to the local bus stop to get a bus into town (Mattias worker) We must have looked very funny. I decide that this wont work so I look for a taxi and we find a guy who is pirating for the day. He wants 15 000 Tsh for the trip which is about 40 dollars but I decide it is okay instead of struggling in a bus with my bag and the box. We head for town in this Toyota which I suspect has no brakes but he is doing his thing to stop the car when needed. We head for the post office in town and I am directed to the company doing the forwarding of parcels for the post office. Got past custom ok, then had to weigh in, had some fun her because I collect stones and had put in some small stones and a few shells from the beaches I had been on. We weighed in at 8.25kgs I had to get rid of .25kg because the charge for the quarter kg will be for a full kg so out went the stones and shells I left it in the post office parking lot. The bus company I had earmarked to do the trip was on the other side of the town, the temperature is 40 and the taxi drivers windows don't work, I sweat, when we get to Scandanavian Bus Co. they had since discontinued the run to Nairobi so we have to go to the main bus station called Mgungu.
I had been to this mad centre a week before just to check up on the prices and the availability of buses and did not want to go there at all again. We now have to cross the city in bumper to bumper traffic and the window winders don't work, dis warm. We get to the bus station eventually I book my ticket 45 us$ and we head for the hospital where I have dental appointment for 5.30 I am early so I hang around. I arrange with same taxi to pick me up at 5pm in the morning because my bus is @ 6.30am he agrees hand foot and mouth. I don't trust this.
The dentist does a wonderful job on my tooth and I am off home. I have an early night.
Tuesday
I am up at 430am, I pack and leave the house at 5am. The taxi does not arrive. I walk to the buss stop at 5.30am to give a bus an hour to get to the main bus station. I make the bus but the owner says I gave him a dated 50$ bill so they only got 45$ for it I refuse to give them any extra money as far as I am concerned I gave them the correct amount. I stay on the bus and we take off for Nairobi. I shall continue with this post when I get home. I fly back home on Thursday 10th December so I will have Christmas with my loved ones. I shall explain the reasons for my turning around at the equator on the next posting from my own computer. Using the Internet here is costing me a dollar every 15mins. Till then.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
oh cecil, you must be home!!!
ReplyDeletedo give us a ring.
we will miss your exotic adventures!
xxxPatty